Monday, August 1, 2011

Advice for Baby Cashew

My Dearest Cashew,

You are always on my mind. I dream about what you will look like, how big you will be, and what kind of person you will become. You are loved by parents that wanted you before you were even in my womb. I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking of things I want to tell you, so I thought I should write it down before I forget. Although I have lived a short life, there are a few things I have learned along the way. Take my advice for what it's worth, it's only your mother talking ;-)

1. Always be yourself. It will be hard, especially in junior high, but please remain who you are and don't change for other people. It doesn't matter what clothes you wear or where you live. Most of the people that care about those things are insecure themselves.  Your real friends don't care about that kind of stuff.  Also, don't judge others by how they look. 

2. Don't be a bully. I was once a bully to a girl in 5th grade for how she looked. She never held my meaness against me, and I don't think she even realized I was making fun of her.  We even became friendly in college. I regret my "bully days" all the time.  She turned out to be a wonderful person and I felt like a fool.

3. Be Kind.  I didn't learn this until my twenties.  And give your life away. Invest in others’ lives.  Care.  The message to “matter” is written on the heart of every human and God and His mission are where we find that purpose fulfilled.  God did not mean for us to live this life in selfishness. Some of the most treasured memories I have are the times I showed God's love to others. 

4. Work hard in school. I know this sounds like a cliche, but your Dad agrees with me.  He regrets not doing his best while in high school, and he had a hard time getting into college because of it. I don't expect perfection, just do your very best.  Life will be easier if you put in the hard work now instead of later.

5.  Have Fun.  On the other side, life is too short to not enjoy it.  I grew up with parents that only went to work and came home.  They didn't have any friends and did the same things all the time.  I encourage you to be adventurous and explore new things (safely).  My favorite adventure was living for a summer in Washington DC.  I learned to be independent in that short time.  My biggest regret is not studying abroad overseas somewhere.  You can work hard, but play hard too!

6.  Fall in Love.  Now this is for when you are much, much older.  Falling in love is a beautiful gift.  There is nothing like saying "I love you" and having the other person mean it when they say it back to you.  Make sure the person loves you for who you truly are, and that they don't just want something from you.  I have only fallen in love once, and he happens to be your Father.  From my limited experience, love is very special and it should be treasured.

7.  Be Grateful.  Thank God for what you have.  There are so many people in this world that don't have anything.  Be thankful not only for your material possessions, but also for the love and support you have from family and friends.  Not everyone has people who love them. 


That's all the advice I can think of for now.  We will try our very best to be good parents to you Baby Cashew.  Your Dad shows his love for you by trying to listen to your heartbeat in my belly every night even though it is impossible, and making sure I don't eat things on the "bad" list.  We love you more than words can say, and can't wait to see your sweet face. 

Your Mom,

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like great advice from an awesome mom-to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have advice for parents I need to get to you :D
    -Don't worry its one page, haha I got it actually in psych class in 12th grade.
    But wonderful advice to baby Cashew :D
    Look forward to keeping up with your blog now.

    ReplyDelete